- 4 cups of day-old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
For the Vanilla Sauce:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C. Grease a baking sheet with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine milk, cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.Beat until well mixed.
3. Add the bread cubes to the mixture and stir gently until everything is covered. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes so the bread absorbs the cream.
4.If using raisins, add them to the bread mixture.
5. Pour in the melted butter evenly, stirring gently to distribute evenly.
6. Pour the pudding mixture onto a greased baking tray and spread it evenly.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is set. You can check the doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. it should come out clean.
8. While the pudding is cooking, prepare the vanilla sauce.In a small saucepan, combine cream, sugar, butter and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Don’t let it boil. Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract.
9.After cooking, remove the bread pudding from the oven and let it cool slightly. Serve hot, drizzled with vanilla sauce.
For more recipes click here!