- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pounds ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 T. cracked pepper (I used orange, that’s all I had in the freezer)
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp.Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 T. Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 slices white bread, crumbled
- 1 T.Milk
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella, reserving 3/4 C for garnish
- 1/4 C. Parmesan
- 1 C. Marinara sauce, plus 1/2 -3/4 C.more for irrigation
Heat the olive oil in a small pan. Fry the onion and peppers over high heat for 3-4 minutes, then remove from the heat. Place the meat, onions, peppers and all other ingredients in a large bowl, reserving 3/4 C mozzarella for sprinkling.
Now dive in with the best tools God has given you, your hands, and set everything up really well.Once everything is combined, add the mixture and form it into the baking dish of your choice. For ours I used my oval Portuguese stoneware. Pour 1/2 to 3/4 C marinara sauce over top and spread around.
Place in the oven preheated to 400 degrees for 50 minutes.Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese and dried basil. Put it back in the oven for 10 minutes. Before serving, make sure the meat is not pink. The cooking time varies depending on the thickness of the bread. Mine was about 5cm thick.
For more recipes click here!