French Onion Chicken consists of chicken schnitzels cooked to a golden brown, topped with onion sauce, topped with freshly grated Parmesan and Swiss cheese, all melted to perfection for the full flavor of the French onion.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken cutlets
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into ¼-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ cup white or dried rose wine
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. While reheating, sprinkle chicken cutlets with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add chicken breast cutlets and fry until golden brown on both sides. Place the chicken on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the butter to the same pan over medium heat.Add the onion to the pan and mix. Lightly salt the onion and spread it over the surface of the pan so it cooks evenly. Stir occasionally and reduce heat if onions are browning too quickly. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until sweet and caramelized.
- Reduce heat to low and add Italian seasoning and garlic.Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Increase the heat to medium, add the wine and cook until reduced. Dust the onion with flour and fry for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the beef broth and simmer until it thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and sprinkle each piece of chicken with an equal amount of Parmesan and a slice of Swiss cheese.Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook until the cheese melts. Sprinkle the dish with chopped fresh parsley and serve with pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.
For more recipes click here!