- 1 (14.4 ounce) bag frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 4 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup favorite red wine
- 2 (32-ounce) containers beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Swiss or grated Gruyere Cheese
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped onion
Heat butter and olive oil in a pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add scallions and chopped yellow onions.
Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, translucent and beginning to brown, 15 minutes.
Continue to fry the onion, stirring frequently to prevent it from burning, until it caramelizes.
Season with sage and thyme, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Mix balsamic vinegar and red wine to deglaze the pan. Be sure to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
Pour in beef broth and bay leaves and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to grill mode.
For the croutons, combine melted butter, garlic powder and onions in a small bowl and spread over the baguette until the dough is covered.
Cut into thick cubes and then spread evenly on a baking tray.Place in oven and broil for 3-5 minutes, keeping an eye on the bread so it doesn’t burn.
Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with cheese and garlic croutons. Optional: pour soup into oven-proof bowls and top with cheese and croutons, then place in oven and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and serve hot. Enjoy!
For more recipes click here!