This recipe is particularly close to my heart, not only because of the childhood memories it brings back, but also because of the way it brings people together and creates unforgettable moments. If you’re craving a dessert that’s both refreshing and indulgent, look no further: Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie is a timeless classic that will delight your taste buds and warm your soul.
- 1 baked cake layer
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- ⅔ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add the water and lemon juice until smooth.Add the butter and place the pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the beaten egg yolks.Gradually add about 1 cup of the hot lemon mixture until well combined. Add the egg yolk mixture back to the pot with the remaining lemon mixture, stirring constantly. Reheat and let it boil gently. Cook and stir for another 2 minutes.
4.Remove from the heat and stir in the grated lemon peel. Pour the lemon filling over the finished cake base and set aside.
5. In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream cheese at medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks form.Spread the meringue over the warm lemon filling and spread to the edge to seal the cake.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
7.Slice, serve and enjoy each delicious bite of Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie. Enjoy the creamy lemon filling and light, airy meringue that make this dessert truly unforgettable.
This recipe is more than just a dessert, it is a reminder of the past and an opportunity to create new memories. Whether it’s a party, a family gathering, or just a treat for yourself, Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Cake is a reminder of the love and joy that can be shared through a humble yet extraordinary dish. Trust me, once you try it, you’ll understand why you’ll want to save this recipe and come back to it again and again.
For more recipes click here!