For the Gyros Filling:
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey (choose lean or very lean)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lettuce leaves or low-carb tortillas (for wrapping)
- Tzatziki sauce (store-bought or homemade; use the low-carb version)
- Tomato slices
- Cucumber slices
- Red onion slices (optional)
- Crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onions and peppers to the pan and fry until soft and light brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Push the onions and peppers to one side of the pan and add the ground beef or turkey to the empty space.
- Cut the meat into small pieces with a spatula and fry until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the chopped garlic, ground cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes to release the flavors. Remove from heat.
- Arrange lettuce leaves or low-carb tortillas of your choice on a clean surface.
- Pour the cooked hamburger mixture onto each lettuce leaf or tortilla.
- Arrange the chopped tomatoes, cucumbers and red onion slices (if using) on the gyro.
- Drizzle generous amounts of low-carb tzatziki sauce over the filling.
- If desired, sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese for additional flavor (this is optional and can be omitted for the dairy-free version).
- Roll lettuce leaves or tortillas around the filling and secure with a toothpick if necessary.
- Hamburger with Peppers and Onion Gyros Serve immediately.
For more recipes Click here!