This recipe definitely doesn’t stop at the good ingredients: a stick of butter, half a cup of sugar and three lemons (one grated, all three juiced). No wonder it’s delicious! In addition to these basic ingredients, you will need three eggs, a pinch of salt, some vanilla and a fine-mesh sieve. The mixture is cooked over low heat until it begins to boil. You don’t want it to cook completely. In total it should cook for about 7-9 minutes, after which you can drain it.
- ½ cup sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice, about 3 lemons
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), diced
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, eggs, lemon zest and salt until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the lemon juice until well blended, then add the diced butter.
- Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until the butter has completely melted and bubbles begin to form. Let the mixture simmer for about 10 seconds and then remove from the heat. At this point it should be thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Using a fine sieve, strain the mixture into a medium bowl, removing any residue. Stir in the vanilla, allow the mixture to come to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
For more recipes click here!