- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (16-ounce) package Velveeta, diced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bacon pieces
- grated cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet or skillet over medium-high heat and brown the ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks. Season generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Drain the fat and then dry the pan with a paper towel. Melt the butter in a pan, then add the flour. Cook the roux for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, then add the whole milk.Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place the beef in the slow cooker with onions, carrots, celery and potatoes and pour the chicken broth over it. Season with basil and parsley, cover and cook over high heat for 3-4 hours until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the cooled roux and then add the diced marigolds. Cover again and cook for another 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the soup is thick and smooth.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese and pieces of bacon. Recognize!
For more recipes click here!