- 2 1/2 pounds oxtail
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground or ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups beef broth OR water
- 1 large yellow onion , sliced
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- Plus salt and garlic; pepper to taste
- Season the oxtails with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- Drizzle the Worcestershire sauce over the oxtails and then add the oxtails to ensure they are well coated.
- Next, sprinkle 1/4 cup flour over the oxtails, making sure the oxtails are covered in flour.
- Then pour the vegetable oil into a large pan and place the pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the oxtails and fry.
- Once the oxtails are nicely browned, remove them from the pan and place them in the slow cooker.
- Return to the pan with the hot oil.
- If there are burnt pieces in the pan, pour out the oil, strain it, clean the pan, and then pour the drained oil into the pan.
- Start adding the rest of the flour to the pan little by little.
- Whisk constantly.
- Once the flour browns and resembles “peanut butter chunks,” slowly add the beef broth or water.
- Whisk while pouring!
- Make sure everything is free of lumps, then reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Once the sauce comes to a full boil, reduce the heat to medium and add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Mix the sauce and do a taste test.
- Add enough salt and salt. Pepper that you think you need.
- Turn off the heat and pour the sauce into the slow cooker to cover the oxtails.
- Make sure the oxtails are well coated with sauce, then turn on the slow cooker.
cook for 8 hours.
- Ready, serve with mashed potatoes, rice or whatever you prefer.
- Have fun!
For more recipes click here!