This Sweet Onion Casserole recipe is a wonderful combination of sweet onions, Swiss cheese, and rice. It makes a tasty side dish for any meal, from grilled meats to roasted poultry. A favorite in our home, you’ll get rave reviews every time you serve it.
- ¾ cup uncooked basmati rice
- 5 cups water
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 pounds sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup half cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups grated Swiss cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F). Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Bring the water to the boil in a large pot and add the rice. Stir, reduce heat and cook rice until half cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain the rice and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir onions until translucent but not browned, about 8 minutes. Combine cooked onions and butter in skillet with rice; Stir in half-and-half, salt, and 1 3/4 cups Swiss cheese. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 cup Swiss cheese.
- Cook, uncovered, in the preheated oven until the rice is tender and the top is lightly browned, about 1 hour.
For more recipes click here!