This is the best ham and bean soup! It can be made on the stovetop in just a few hours with minimal effort and still results in a nutritious and filling dinner. Serve with homemade cornbread.
- 20 ounces dried northern beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- Rinse the beans, separate them and remove stones and debris. Put aside.
- Cut the onion, celery and carrot into cubes. Chop the garlic.
- Place the oil in a large pot over medium heat.Once hot, add the onion, celery and carrot.
- Cook vegetables until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add water, Italian seasoning and dried beans to the pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat and put a lid on.Cook, stirring every 30 minutes, for 2 hours, or until the beans are almost tender.
- Add ham, salt and pepper to the soup. Simmer for another 30 minutes to another hour, or until the beans are fully cooked.
- Just before serving, add water or chicken stock to the pot to thin the soup to the desired consistency. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
For more recipes click here!