This is one of the most fun soup recipes with a rich, warming flavor. It totally reminds me of growing up and being at home. There’s so much goodness in one bowl of this hearty soup.
You’ll love the comforting flavors of this soup and the way all the flavors meld together. The peppers and tomatoes offer a delicate, slightly sweet flavor, while the beef takes on a flavor reminiscent of traditional stuffed peppers.
The rice contained in this soup gives it a great texture, gives it body and makes it filling.
This is a cozy way to make stuffed peppers and one of my favorite soup recipes. Trust me, you will love it!
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken – or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice (I use jasmine)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a pot or casserole over medium heat, brown the Italian sausage and ground beef; separating as you go.
In the middle of browning, add onions and peppers; stirring several times. During the last minute of browning, reduce heat to medium-low and add chopped garlic, stirring constantly. Drain the excess fat.
Add the beef broth, chicken broth and tomatoes to the salsa and simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the peppers begin to soften.
Add the rice and coat well. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the rice is tender. For best results, serve quickly. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
For more recipes click here!