Tennessee Onion is a delicious baked onion appetizer with a flavorful, cheesy topping. How to make them:
- 2 large sweet onions (e.g. Vidalia)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley for decoration (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Peel the onion and cut into thick slices about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the slices into circles and place them in a baking dish in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, combine the grated cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, grated Parmesan, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.This creates an aromatic, cheesy topping.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the onion slices and cover them with the mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with cling film and cook in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 15-20 minutes or until the onion is soft and the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired to add color and flavor.
Serve hot as a spicy addition to various second courses.
For more recipes click here!